Role Summary/Purpose: SAMS is looking for a full-time “Advocacy Officer” position to join the Advocacy team. This position will work with department and staff to author reports related to humanitarian issues within the Syria crisis, help to strengthen SAMS visibility and presence with UN agencies, develop relationships with United States Government officials, and support SAMS advocacy efforts in the region. This position will require close communication with regional and field staff, and provides an opportunity to gain practical experience in humanitarian policy and response.
- Build and maintain relationships with, and communicate SAMS’s policy messages to, partner organizations, U.S. government agencies, Congress, UN missions, and UN agencies.
- Work with and represent SAMS to humanitarian and human rights coalitions and working groups that focus on Syria.
- Coordinate with regional advocacy staff to unify messaging and increase SAMS’s regional advocacy presence.
- Coordinate with regional office advocacy staff to identify areas of support and collaboration, as well as undertaking travel to the region.
- Research and write reports around SAMS’s findings and response in Syria.
- Organize and coordinate advocacy related events, including advocacy days, Congressional hearings and briefings.
- Draft and edit op-eds and press releases.
- Assist in developing grassroots advocacy actions and talking points.
- Write, develop, and collect content for SAMS’s blog and other SAMS resources.
- Participate in weekly SAMS advocacy staff call.
- Prepare a weekly report for advocacy manager of pending and completed assignments.
- Perform other duties, including administrative tasks, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years’ experience in advocacy, government relations, or international affairs
- Strong research and writing skills
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally (< 10%)
- Knowledge of the Syrian conflict is strongly preferred
- Fluency in Arabic is helpful but not required
Please submit your resume and cover letter to [email protected]. Include in the subject line the name of the position you are applying for.