“We represent a last hope, the final defenders of life in this city. But we are also among the fallen. We have all lost medical brothers and sisters to barrel bombs and missile strikes, but we keep on working through the night,”
– Dr. Abo El Ezz, SAMS Aleppo Coordinator
The humanitarian crisis, already unmatched in its scale, has reached a tipping point as Aleppo is bombarded and encircled. Since the beginning of June 2016, eastern Aleppo City has been under siege. The airstrikes, barrel bombs, and shelling of Castello Road, the only humanitarian corridor in and out of the eastern part of the city, have become increasingly intense, and the road has become so dangerous to travel that it is effectively closed. Vehicles are being targeted by heat-seaking missiles. The situation in Aleppo is an emergency that must be met with urgent action from the international community.
As of October 2016, only five hospitals remain operational in besieged Aleppo to care for a population of 300,000 civilians, including more than 85,000 children. There remain only 29 doctors to treat the overwhelming number of wounded. Since the collapse of the ceasefire in September, over 1,700 airstrikes killed more than 550 people and wounded over 1,500, many of them children. SAMS’s largest trauma hospital was targeted five times in one week, forcing it to close. Physicians for Human Rights has documented 382 attacks on medical facilities that have killed 757 medical personnel since the start of the conflict in 2011.
Hospitals, markets, schools, and other civilian infrastructure continue to be targeted and destroyed in Aleppo. The people of Aleppo are facing daily bloodbaths.
In an effort to provide both medical personnel and patients with needed security and safety, and through its Save Aleppo Campaign, SAMS is asking for your generous support to raise funds to move one of the few remaining and vulnerable main hospitals in eastern Aleppo to an underground safe location.
The situation in Aleppo is an emergency that must be met with urgent action from the international community and the U.S. government.
- Our partners have compiled social media graphics in this folder – make sure to share online.
- Join thousands and #MakeFacebookRed: change your Facebook profile picture to a red picture to stand with the thousands of civilians in Aleppo who are facing aerial attacks and violence each day.
- Tweet! Here are some sample tweets:
– More than 80 int’l & Syrian NGOs have called on @POTUS and @PutinRF_ENG to help #SaveSyriaCeasefire http://bit.ly/1WXuVLx #AleppoIsBurning
– 200+ Syrians have been killed in past week. @POTUS & @PutinRF_Eng must reinforce the ceasefire #AleppoIsBurning
– Attacks on hospitals are a war crime. Doctors & civilians must be protected. #SaveSyriaCeasefire #AleppoIsBurning
– Over 48 hours, 1 #Syria’n has been killed every 25 minutes. This boy’s brother was one of them. #SaveSyriaCeasefire