|The Head of Mission serves as SAMS’ representative, overseeing the development and implementation of all health, MHPSS, and GBV programs in Jordan.
Successful candidates will have at least 10 years of experience with developing and implementing programs funded by major donors, such as the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Population, Refugees, and Migration, USAID/BHA, ECHO, FCDO, GIZ, UN agencies, etc. A background in managing health/MHPSS programming is preferred. This position reports directly to the Executive Director, based at SAMS Headquarters in Washington, D.C.
While the successful candidate will serve as SAMS’ representative in Jordan, 80% of the role will focus on the development of programs. For this reason, candidates with a strong background in designing and managing health, MHPSS, and GBV programs is preferred.
Strategic Planning and Program Development:
- Take the lead in designing projects that are evidence-based and aligned with SAMS mission and vision
- Develop a strategy for identifying new funding opportunities, in coordination with Headquarters
- Build strong relationships with government, NGOs, international organizations, donors, and relevant private sector organizations to expand and diversify
- Oversee regular mapping and vetting of prospective implementing partners among Jordanian NGOs/CBOs
- Monitor information on needs and priorities according to major institutional donors; track and disseminate relevant requests for proposals
- Oversee development of high-quality, cost-effective proposals to donors, with support from MEAL and Programs staff in Jordan and Headquarters
- Oversee annual review and update of SAMS operational plan and budget in Jordan
Program Oversight and Accountability:
- Take full responsibility for the successful execution of ongoing operational programs, supervising the implementation, and assuring high-quality performance
- Oversee monthly update of spending pipelines, work plans, indicator tracking tables, etc. for all projects
- Ensure timely programmatic and financial reporting to donors and Headquarters
- Oversee monitoring and capacity-building support for sub-recipients, from the pre-award, through post-award and close-out phases
- Support MEAL staff in designing and implementing tools for monitoring and accountability, ensuring that accountability channels are effectively communicated to program staff and beneficiaries
- Ensure adherence to donor regulations, through the delivery of training for staff, grant kickoff meetings, close coordination with Headquarters, and institutionalizing spot checks for the program and operational documentation
- Ensure staff comply with all SAMS and applicable donor policies and procedures, drawing on support from Headquarters for training resources, etc.
- Support preparation for internal and external audits
- Support Safeguarding Focal Points to effectively carry out their duties, in coordination with Headquarters
- Ensure establishment and regular maintenance of risk mitigation and management mechanisms, with support from Headquarters
- Ensure that safety and security management of personnel, facilities, and assets are addressed
- Oversee staff well-being and performance, in compliance with local labor laws and SAMS HR policies and procedures
- Serve as legal representative for SAMS in Jordan
- Ensure high visibility and effective representation of SAMS with donors, government ministries, and all relevant NGO coordination fora
- Promote and model a positive, professional, and respectful office culture
- Promote compliance with SAMS policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in a health-related field preferred
- At least 10 years of relevant experience with INGOs, preferably in health, mental health and psychosocial support, and/or gender-based violence programming
- Regional experience in addition to in Jordan experience is preferred
- Fluent in Arabic and English
- Prior management experience
- Prior experience with donor communication and outreach
- Prior experience in developing and implementing programs
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- In-depth knowledge of major donor regulations (USAID/BHA, DOS/PRM, ECHO, FCDO, etc.)
- Ability to work independently, with little oversight
- Team player
- Sound knowledge of Excel, project management tools, etc.
Please send cover letter and resume to: [email protected].