Director of External Communications
Leading a team of talented, multi-disciplinary communications professionals, the Director will oversee the development and implementation of the communications strategy, including agency messaging and positioning on advocacy issues, reports, social media community management, email marketing, event support, website content, and coordinated fundraising themes.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the external communications strategy, according to set policies and procedures, and ensure alignment with annual operational plans for media, advocacy, and fundraising.
- Supervise and develop team members through setting team and individual goals. Prioritize, organize, delegate, and coordinate the flow of work. Enhance performance of employees and spokespersons through frequent and timely communication and support.
- Oversee media relations, digital footprint, and social media presence. Manage media relations and develop contacts with media members, influencers, and community leaders. Track and build engagement across all agency social media communities and platforms.
- Ensure website content and technology platforms remain up to date. Ensure all other activities related to email marketing, event support, and internally produced documents are aligned with the communications strategy.
- Oversee advocacy efforts and regularly communicate the agency’s advocacy messages through engagement with Congressional offices and committees, State Department, National Security Council, UN Security Council Members, and UN Secretariat,
- Oversee the development and dissemination of the agency’s advocacy materials, including talking points, briefing memos, white papers, op-eds, letters, and other resources.
- Handle external inquiries regarding the agency’s advocacy and policy positions from partners, policy makers, and media as necessary.
- Spearhead advocacy-related events such as Congressional and UN briefings, advocacy days, think-tank events, roundtables, and more
- Lead advocacy efforts and engagement with foreign governments, with an emphasis on the EU; including developing relationships with policymakers in key capitals, as well as at DC Embassies and UN Missions
- Master’s Degree (or international equivalent) in a related field
- At least 10 years of related experience and at least 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent writing and editing experience
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent customer service, relationship building/management and consensus building skills.
- Broad knowledge of social and digital media strategy and marketing best practices. Broad knowledge of social and digital media platforms (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, website development and content). Ideally, some experience in online fundraising.
- Experience in advocating for causes and working with common coalitions.
- Established media relations preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment. Arabic language skills are a plus.
- Excellent leadership and staff capacity building skills with the ability to lead diverse, multi-disciplinary teams.
- Solid knowledge of humanitarian and health issues
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally
Please send resume and cover letter to: [email protected]