The Grants Officer, located in Washington D.C., is expected to focus on matters pertaining to finance and compliance, as part of efforts to both provide support and maintain oversight of donor-funded programs implemented by Country Offices. The position will be based within the Programs Unit at Headquarters, but is expected to work closely with the Finance and Operations Units at Headquarters, as well as with counterparts in Country Offices.
Project Finance Management
- Support preparation and review of pipelines for all grants on a monthly basis and coordinate monthly pipeline review meetings with Country Offices;
- Lead quarterly review of spending across budgets to develop lessons learned for future budget preparation
- Liaise with Country Offices in preparation and review of donor financial reports
- Support Headquarters in monitoring grants payables and receivables accounts and cost allocation
- Support Headquarters and Country Offices in preparation for internal/external audits
- Maintain complete and accurate filing system for all active, closed grants, and proposals submitted by HQ and country officers; this includes report trackers, payment trackers, and compliance trackers, as well as filing of key project documents
- Support country offices in sub-grantee selection process, through review of pre-award self-assessments and organizational capacity assessments
- Draft sub-grant agreements that ensure compliance with donor regulations
- Support Country Offices in preparing materials for partner kickoff and review meetings
- Support Country Offices in developing and implementing partner support plans designed to build capacity of partners during the project life-cycle.
- Review requests for proposals and distil key information related to donor regulations with Country Offices
- Work closely with the Country Offices to review and finalize budgets and budget narratives for donor submission, ensuring compliance with donor requirements.
- Prepare and coordinate review of incoming and outgoing grant agreements, modifications, MOUs, and pre-award letters
- Prepare compliance trackers and grant kickoff material for Country Offices for each new award received
- Provide training to Country Offices on donor regulations, including relevant super circulars in the case of US government awards
- Conduct monthly spot checks on samples of finance/procurement documentation in Country Offices
- Support Grants, Finance, and Operations Units to strengthen internal controls and risk mitigation mechanisms related to grant management, HR, finance and procurement, in close coordination with Country Offices
Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Desired Education and Essential Skills
- University/Baccalaureate degree required. Masters or Advanced Degree preferred (Business, Finance, Management, Accounting)
- At least three years of experience in grants/contracts and project finance – preferably with NGOs and/or community-based organizations
- Strong financial management skills, including developing and monitoring budgets and financial reporting
- Demonstrated experience in both contract preparation/review and sub-grant management
- In-depth knowledge of 2 CFR 200 and experience with regulations of major donor agencies such as USAID, U.S. Department of State, EU, DFID preferred.
- Basic knowledge and previous application of ERP accounting systems (in particulat Deltek Cost Point 7)
- Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Strong command over written and verbal communication
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- Ability to work in a professional and cordial manner with fellow staff members, visitors, partner institutions including international and local NGOs, governmental entities, support organizations, and the general public
- A multi-tasker with strong ability to work under pressure
- Flexibility, creativity, and the ability to maintain a rapid and demanding pace of work
- Ability to perform in cross-functional team approach
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines and produce quality results on time with attention to detail.
- Proficient in using computers with related knowledge of software programs and Internet.
- Knowledge of the Arabic language and/or the Middle East region is desired but not a requirement.
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]