The Syrian American Medical Society Foundation (SAMS) is a nonprofit, non-partisan, non-religious medical relief organization, with a mission to provide lifesaving healthcare services and to revitalize health systems for underprivileged Syrian refugees, internally displaced persons, and vulnerable host community members in zones of conflict and displacement. This is done by implementing an integrated model of essential services that emphasize priority needs, including the delivery of medical education, training, and financial support to physicians and other healthcare workers in Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Greece, and Iraq. Along with the provision of healthcare services and medical training, the SAMS Foundation also implements mental health and psychosocial support (MHPSS) programs, as well as protection against gender-based violence (GBV).
Existing and prospective funders for SAMS Jordan include U.S. Department of State, UN agencies, and private philanthropic foundations, among others. Current program areas include mental health and psychosocial support, gender-based violence, and support for specialized health care, such as physical therapy and ophthalmology.
Purpose and Specifications:
SAMS seeks to build a roster of quality applicants who reside in Jordan, and who could be called upon as external consultants in support of a wide variety of proposal development efforts. The first assignment for candidates who are selected for the roster may be as early as mid-June 2021.
SAMS is interested in candidates that could offer any of the following:
- General proposal writing skills, particularly with major US Government, European ministries, and large philanthropic and multilateral donors
- Technical expertise in health, MHPSS, and Protection/GBV sectors
The candidate will perform and manage the proposal process in response to requests from USG and potentially others. S/he will be expected to lead proposal preparation, revision, and submission, in close coordination with programs and operations staff within SAMS Jordan and US Headquarters.
- Understand SAMS mission, vision, and strategic priorities in a very short time span
- Research, co-author, and edit proposal package elements
- Liaise with SAMS staff and contractors to draft proposal sections with attention to accuracy, content quality, compliance, and consistency
- Distill donor priorities and compliance requirements from RFP documents, supplemented by existing knowledge/experience
- Hold proposal kickoff meetings and program design workshops with staff to craft a project that aligns with funders’ strategy and SAMS Jordan’s goals
- Manage proposal work plan: assign proposal responsibilities and support staff in drafting sections, conduct desk research for needs assessments, and provide consistent follow-up with the proposal team
- Advise SAMS on project risk issues
- Lead field level budget development: review detailed budgets for completeness, accuracy, cost-effectiveness, and coach local team on cost if required.
- Review and edit materials for compliance, messaging, and completeness. Work with SAMS: HQ for final review and submission.
- Understanding of competitor/incumbent assets
- Understanding of target donor requirements, strategies, and priorities in Jordan
- Exceptional writing skills in English
- Strong oral communication skills in English; fluency in Arabic also preferred
- Ability to partner with SAMS Jordan staff throughout the proposal process
- Strong organizational/time management skills
- Successful experience working on competitive donor proposals (particularly U.S. Department of State/BPRM)
- Winning track record for INGO proposals
Interested applicants should submit the following (in PDF format) to [email protected]:
- Sample of previous work (3 pages maximum)
- Budget including the applicant’s daily/hourly rate and a breakdown of costs for carrying out any activities noted in this TOR