SAMS is looking for a full-time Senior Program Officer that is focused primarily on Medical Education to participate in the business development and grant management of educational programs for medical residents, medical students, allied health professionals, instructors and faculty members inside Syria and neighboring countries. This position will be based at SAMS Headquarters in Washington D.C., within the Programs Department.
- Support strategic development of SAMS’ medical education mission and vision, in collaboration with the Country Offices, SAMS Education Committee and Education Advisory Board.
- Lead coordination of business development efforts (positioning, proposal development, etc.) specific to medical education with academic institutions, and cultivate relationships with prospective donors
- Identify grants opportunities and advise on innovative proposals in the fields of medical education and continuous professional development.
- Liaise with medical education officials in Syria and SAMS medical education program staff, and the Education Committee to establish standards of practice, create evidence-based guidelines, assure compliance and monitor quality outcome.
- Ensure the provision of adequate support and guidance to field staff based in the region and work with consultants on the process of project/curriculum development, design and implementation.
- Support identification of relevant curricula and courses and development of supplementary study materials with academic stakeholders including the international essential competencies standards in crises for healthcare education projects.
- Work closely with the Program and Business Development Manager and Country Offices to cultivate and maintain relationships with key stakeholders in healthcare providers education, including UN agencies, relevant Syrian education representatives, international and local NGOs, and key non-Syrian healthcare education and research universities.
- Remotely manage and coordinate all aspects of the project lifecycle for medical education grants and other grants, as assigned:
- Need assessment
- Proposal development
- Status of courses/curriculum development
- Adherence to schedules and timeframe
- Implementation oversight
- Awards reporting requirements
- Support development and implementation of a credible quality assurance plan and procedure for SAMS education programs with the assistance of consultants and the advisory board, that includes:
- Compilation and assessment of data, evaluation research on effectiveness
- Incorporation of improvements to contents and methodologies as needed.
- Seek accreditation and academic affiliation for SAMS’ educational projects, theoretical and clinical courses, online educational courses, and continuous professional development workshops and seminars.
- Provide periodic program updates to the Director of Programs, Executive Director, and the Education Committee.
- Advanced degree in a health-related field (MD, MPH or similar), health education or public administration
- Experience of at least three years in business development and grant/project management related to research and/or education/health services delivery that includes decision making to improve methods and strategy (operational research background is preferred)
- Knowledge and understanding of the donor landscape (private and institutional) and major donor regulations
- Willingness to travel to country offices, program implementation sites, and key academic stakeholders in Europe and the Middle East region
- Strong verbal and writing communication skills, including the ability to co-lead and collaborate with a diverse group of stakeholders
- Comfortable in a multi-cultural environment
Preferred but not required:
- Arabic language knowledge
- Knowledge of epidemiology and statistics
- Experience in working on projects in conflict areas or with displaced communities
To apply, send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].